About Me

My photo
nineteen and mental ♥ i express my electric wit through my sharpie love

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Cooking Lesson

I did something new today. I got off my butt and learned to cook. Coming from an african family, it.s expected of me as a women to learn how to cook. I really do hate that as a girl, it.s harder for me to gain acceptance than my brothers. If i don.t cook, clean, or look a certain way, i.m not liked or respected. My brothers have to do approximately nothing, and everything is all good. Some say i.m a feminist, but i just don.t stand for sexism.

I started cooking today simply because, it was something i always wanted to do as a person, not only a girl. My grandmother taught me, and it was so much fun. I also loved that by learning to cook with her, i was also learning how to speak my country.s language better, since she doesn.t speak english.

By the time we were finished i was so proud of myself and felt so close to my grandmother. We made a stew that you eat with rice with onions, tomatoes, potatoes, fish and peppers in it. Sounds healthy right? It was until we added Palmolive oil to it. After awhile of eating the seasoned soup with rice, i could feel the heartburn sliding down my throat. I couldn.t finish it. But it was the memories made that were most important to me.

I wish i took pictures.

1 comments:

Rena Marie said...

i just realized no one could leave comments on my blog =( this sucks. i feel so stupid to have never checked.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin